How to play lotto online
Playing lotto online is pretty easy. The main thing that players need to consider before purchasing a ticket is their eligibility. Below are the main steps to follow.
Choose the best lottery site
The first step involves choosing a lottery site. There are numerous options to consider, which can make it a bit challenging to decide.
Most players usually base their decision on the amount of jackpot on offer at the time of playing. However, players should also consider the winning odds to maximize their winning chances. Online lotto players should also do due diligence to ensure the lottery site they choose is legitimate.
Select the right lottery numbers
The next step is choosing the lottery numbers. In most sites, the process is easy and fast as it does not involve standing in queues, as is usually the case when purchasing at a local vendor. Players only need to choose their winning numbers and confirm their selections.
The selection process might differ slightly in different lottery sites based on the user interface. Some lotto sites have instant random selection options that players can opt to use. Including online lottery number calculators for your lottery journey. This tip will help you choose the right numbers.
Purchase a lotto ticket
With everything else done, players can make payments for their lottery tickets. Different lottery sites offer many different payment options. Players can choose whichever payment option offers them the most convenience. Note that some payment options may attract a transaction fee. When payment is successful, the purchased tickets will be ready.
Follow lotto draws
The final step involves checking the draws to find out whether the purchased tickets have winning numbers. Players get to win if the numbers they selected match the numbers of the draw. In most cases, there are usually several prize tiers other than the jackpot.
Something to note is that players are usually allowed to purchase as many lottery tickets as they want, which can help increase winning chances. Errors made in number selection are generally at the cost of the player.
EuroMillions was launched back in February 2004 as a transnational lottery, with the first draw taking place on the 13th of the same month. The game requires players to predict seven numbers correctly to win the jackpot. Five of the numbers selected should be chosen from 1 to 50. The remaining two numbers, called the lucky star numbers, are selected from a pool of only 12 numbers.
Nowadays, draws are usually held twice a week, on Tuesday and Friday nights. The draws take place in Paris. For participation, players need to purchase tickets online or from licensed stores. There are no restrictions regarding players' nationalities if the players are above 18 years old.
Powerball is the most popular lottery game in the United States, coordinated by a Multi-State Lottery Association. The first draw of the lottery was in April 1992. Draws used to be held twice a week for all the years until 23rd August 2021, when a third weekly draw was added.
The minimum Powerball jackpot is usually $20 million. Winners have the option of being paid the relevant amount as a lump sum or in graduated instalments. The lump-sum option amount is generally less than the annuity option because of taxation and the time value of money.
Eurojackpot is another popular transnational European lottery that was started back in March 2012. The lottery offers a minimum jackpot of €10 million, which can roll over up to €90 million.
Players must match five numbers correctly from a pool of 50 numbers and two other supplementary picks from 10 numbers. The lottery also offers 12 prize tiers. Draws occur only once each week, held in Helsinki, and winning lottery tickets are evaluated in Denmark and Germany.
Mega Millions, formerly called The Big Game, is an American lottery game with no jurisdiction limitations – anyone can play. Players can purchase tickets online and follow the draws via live stream. The Mega million draws occur twice each week, held in the WSB-TV studios in Atlanta, Georgia.
The minimum jackpot advertised for the lottery, as of 2017, is $40 million. The amount is paid in graduated yearly instalments that increase by 5% each year. The winner still maintains the right to request lump-sum payments.
Payment methods at online lotteries
As mentioned earlier, players can use numerous payment options to purchase online lotto tickets. Some of the most common ones are highlighted below.
Credit cards are among the most commonly used payment options. Using credit cards is as simple as filling in the credit card information on the lotto site and approving the transaction. In addition to the simplicity of use, credit cards are also considered to be quite safe. Another common option is debit cards, which work similarly to credit cards when purchasing a lotto ticket.
Nearly all the major online lotteries accept e-wallet payments nowadays. E-wallets offer several benefits as payments are usually fast and safe. They are also more appropriate for making small payments, which comes in handy for cheap online lotteries. Some of the major e-wallet providers also do not charge transaction fees to the purchase.
Direct Bank Transfer
Lotto players can opt for direct bank transfer. That is particularly common for players who purchase high volumes of lottery tickets. Direct bank transfer comes with the benefit of easier verification and ticket security in case of a win.
Real and fake online lotteries
Distinguishing between a real and a fake lottery can be a bit challenging. However, several parameters can be used to ascertain whether a lottery site is legitimate or otherwise. Here are some factors that count when evaluating the legitimacy of an online casino.
- Reputation: The reputation of a lottery should be the first thing to consider. Players should refrain from buying lotto tickets from lotteries that have questionable reputations. One way of determining the reputation of an online lotto is by checking user reviews.
- Licensing: Another easy way of distinguishing between real and online lotteries is by checking the licensing status of the lotto company. Real lotto companies usually have all the relevant licenses and certifications from governing and regulating bodies.
- Verified Winners: Real online lotteries usually have verified winners. Failure to publish verified winners is usually an indication of the lottery being fake.
- Personal Experience: Personal experience can also help lotto players distinguish between a real and fake online lottery. A player who wins any prize tier and does not receive the winnings for no legitimate reason can rule out the online lottery as fake.
- Checking a Ranking Site: An easy and effective solution is to check reliable online lotteries rankings. Our rankings are based on extensive tests and research featuring only real online lotteries.
How do we rank online lotteries?
Several features stand out when ranking online lotteries. Here is what we look at:
- Customer Service: Customer service is quite essential in online lotto sites. Top-ranking lotteries offer professional assistance and value to players consistently. The timelier and professional the customer representatives attend to players, the higher the rank.
- Winning Odds: Some rankings are based on the winning odds. Lotto sites have different winning odds irrespective of the jackpot size. The same can also indicate the winning frequencies of the lottery. The number of prize tiers also affects the rankings.
- Terms and Conditions: The best lotteries offer players reasonable terms and conditions. The terms and conditions should work for the benefit of both parties.
- Payment Options: Top-ranking online lotteries provide players with the most payment options. That helps to ensure ease and convenience of ticket purchase for all players.
About the author
Samuel O'Reilly, an Aussie native, is the mastermind behind some of the most insightful online casino guides. With a decade in the gaming industry, Samuel's expertise is second to none, making his reviews a favorite amongst both novices and professionals.
Avatar Name: CasinoKangaroo